Home World Europe Erdogan steps up US row with ambassador boycott

Erdogan steps up US row with ambassador boycott

ISTANBUL

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has vowed that Turkish officials will boycott the US Ambassador to Turkey John Bass, deepening one of the worst rifts in decades between the Nato allies.

Erdogan said Turkey no longer regarded outgoing envoy Bass as the US representative to Turkey after American missions in the country stopped issuing visas.

The dispute erupted last week when Turkey arrested a Turkish employee of the American consulate on suspicion of links to the group blamed for last year’s failed coup.

In response, the United States stopped issuing visitor visas from its missions in Turkey, prompting Turkish missions to hit back with a tit-for-tat step of their own.

“We have not agreed and are not agreeing to this ambassador making farewell visits with ministers, the parliament speaker and myself,” Erdogan said.

“We do not see him as the representative of the United States in Turkey,” he added, speaking at a news conference with Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic in Belgrade.

Bass is shortly to leave Turkey after being named the US envoy to Afghanistan and it is traditional for outgoing envoys to make valedictory visits to top officials.

And, although Bass is in Turkey for only a few more days, it is unprecedented in the history of Turkish-US relations for Ankara to no longer recognise Washington’s ambassador.

Erdogan said the arrest of the consulate staffer, based on evidence found by the police, shows “something is going on at the Istanbul consulate”.

“The US should evaluate one thing: how did those agents leak into the consulate?” Erdogan said.

Some Turkish officials have long alleged a US hand in the coup attempt on July 15 last year, which Ankara blames on the US-based Muslim preacher Fethullah Gulen.

Washington has dismissed claims it was involved as a ludicrous conspiracy theory, and on Tuesday it said it has seen no evidence linking its Turkish employees to a plot.

“These actions are deeply disturbing to us,” State Department spokesman Heather Nauert said in Washington, urging Turkey to allow the detained men access to lawyers.

Agence France-Presse