Home World India Yashwant slams govt for defending Shah’s son

Yashwant slams govt for defending Shah’s son


Dissident Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Yashwant Sinha on Wednesday slammed the government for defending party chief Amit Shah’s son Jay Shah over allegations hurled against him and said it had thus lost its high moral ground.

“I don’t want to comment on the merit of the case as it is a matter of investigation but I would like to say the manner in which a federal minister jumped into the fray… He is a federal minister, not a chartered accountant of Jay Shah,” Sinha told NDTV. Sinha also criticised the government for allowing Additional Solicitor-General Tushar Mehta to take on the case of Jay Shah.

“These were avoidable and should not have happened. The very special circumstances in which the additional solicitor-general has been cleared to defend the concerned person also raises some issues and that was also to my mind avoidable.

“Looking at all these therefore perhaps the high moral ground that we had occupied all these months and years somehow appears to have been lost,” said the former finance minister.

Jay Shah’s company has reportedly recorded a turnover of Rs800 million in 2015 after showing just Rs50,000 the previous year.

Sinha was asked whether the issue had dented the image of the BJP and Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

“I am not going to those details. An episode takes place. Your reaction to that determines whether you are still occupying a high moral ground or you have quit that high moral ground. From the way we have responded the party and the government, it appears the high moral ground has been lost,” Sinha said.

He said the matter must be investigated. “We have lots of agencies which can do it.”

Meanwhile, the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPM) has urged the government to direct the CBI and the Enforcement Directorate (ED) to probe the business dealings of Jay, says a New Delhi report.

Meanwhile, hearing in a defamation case filed by Jay against an online portal was on Wednesday postponed to October 16 after he and his lawyer didn’t turn up at the Ahmedabad Metropolitan Magistrate’s court.

Indo-Asian News Service